In order to be a commercial vehicle driver, there are plenty of qualifications and requirements to be aware of. As the owner of a moving and storage company, it is important that YOU are aware of these requirements for the times you must hire new drivers.
Over the next month, we will be focusing on these requirements, from qualifications to disqualifications to physical requirements to even drug and alcohol use and penalties. This week, let’s focus on 10 CMV driver qualifications and requirements. Drivers must:
1. Be in good health and physically able to perform all duties of a driver
2. Be at least 21 years of age
3. Be able to drive vehicle safely
4. Complete an application for employment
5. Have only one valid commercial driver’s license
6. Provide an employing motor carrier with a list of all motor vehicle violations
7. Pass a driver’s road test or equivalent
8. Possess a valid and current medical certificate
9. Know how to safely load, block, brace and secure the cargo
10. Speak and read English well enough to: converse with the general public, understand traffic signs and signals, respond to official questions and be able to make legible entries on reports and records.
When hiring a new driver for your moving company, it is important to turn to these qualifications. You may want to even start a checklist! Hiring an unqualified candidate may not only get you into lawful trouble, but may also lead to more claims against your moving and storage insurance policy.
Concerned about disqualifications? Be sure to come back next week for another informational blog!