New Year, New Business Plan: Tips for Getting Your Moving Company on the Road

Are you thinking about starting a moving and storage business? With the New Year coming, now is a great time to start thinking about your plan and making sure you fulfill all requirements necessary. One of the most important tasks to check off your list will be to ensure you receive the proper permit and insurance. Moving companies need to make sure that their drivers are properly prepared for the road.

In order to take care of any questions you may have, we have a few FAQs to share with you that will hopefully put your moving company on the track to success, as well as give you some pointers for securing your commercial driver license:

What requirements must be met in order to receive a CDL?

  • You must be 21 years old. (If you are 18-20, you may be able to drive in-state only.)
  • You cannot receive a CDL if you have ever had your license suspended or revoked.
  • You must go through a series of background checks.
  • You must meet physical requirements.

How can I apply for a CDL?

You must apply to the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RVM). First, you apply for a permit, which will consist of a written exam and vision test. Next, you must pass the road test and possibly extra written tests.

Are there any driver education courses that I must take?

While these courses are not required, many drivers will take truck driving classes to increase their knowledge and driving skills.

What types of insurance policy would you look into for this business?

Having specific insurance for moving companies is crucial. The types of coverage available for this industry include:

  • General liability
  • Motor truck cargo
  • Warehouse legal liability
  • Umbrella insurance
  • Workers’ compensation
  • Commercial Truck Coverage

At Wolpert Insurance, we offer reliable insurance for moving companies and much more. If you are ready to get a move on and start this business off right, be sure to take the proper steps towards your goal…and just leave the coverage and protection aspect to us!

Commercial Trucking Q&A: Tariffs

Owning and operating your own moving and storage is unlike a number of other businesses involving commercial trucking. Your coverage needs alone, differ from that of standard truckers. Additionally, there are particular aspects of your business that you are required to maintain, including tariffs.

Q: As the owner of a moving company, what should I know about tariffs and is there any further protection I should have within my moving company insurance policy?

A: This is a common question within your industry. At Wolpert Insurance, we want to clarify that insurance for moving companies is different than coverage commonly secured for other commercial trucking enterprises. Moving trucks often sit at one or two locations, while commercial trucks are constantly moving.

Therefore, you will not be paying the same insurance rates for your trucks as other companies. As moving & storage insurance experts, we’ll work with your transportation attorneys, design paperwork, including Bills of Lading, Warehouse Receipts, and Tariffs, to support your operations.

A tariff is an issuance, in whole or part, which you as the mover are required to have on file with the federal government’s Surface Transportation Board. It contains rates, rules, regulations, classifications, and other provisions related to the services you provide to your customers.

Your mover’s tariff is required to contain three items: 1. An accurate description of the services you offer as a mover to the public 2. The specific applicable rates and terms for available services 3. A format that allows customers to determine exact rates and service terms for a shipment

Also, every section of the tariff should clearly describe each type of service that a move may require and the charges that may apply. Tariffs are made a part of the bill of lading between you and the customer. As with any contract, it is important that your client understands what he/she is buying and how the charges will be made.

In the moving industry today, most tariffs are electronically managed. The mover simply enters information in about a specific move, such as weight, packing services, third party charges, and any other applicable services. The mover can then create a complete listing of the estimated charges based on their published tariff.

We take pride in our ability to craft superior insurance for moving companies. We have a specialized program that offers superior coverage, exceptional pricing, and first-class customer service. Interested in learning more? Contact the coverage experts at Wolpert Insurance to discover your specialized options today!

Understanding Motor Truck Cargo Insurance & Why You Need It!

A motor truck cargo policy provides insurance coverage and protection on the goods and commodities hauled by a for-hire trucker. This endorsement is especially important for owners and operators of moving companies.

This particular policy safeguards your liability for cargo that may be lost or damaged due to a variety of risks, such as:

  • Fire
  • Collision
  • Striking of a load; if your cargo is accidentally dumped on a roadway or waterway

There are various aspects to motor truck cargo insurance such as removal expenses coverage, in which your moving company can receive coverage pays for the cost to remove debris.

Does your company need motor truck cargo insurance?

It’s been quite common for truckers to be required to insure their cargo. In regards to insurance for moving companies, a motor truck cargo endorsement pays off, when you are responsible for damage or loss of a client’s cargo. When you enroll in a motor truck cargo policy, you have the opportunity to select a limit for your coverage; this limit reflects the maximum amount your insurance company will pay for damaged or lost cargo. Additionally you will need to choose a deductible.

Motor truck cargo insurance is available most often for the following commercial vehicle types: dump truck, tractor, most trailers, box trucks, cement mixers, cargo vans, dually pick-ups, flatbeds and car haulers.

It’s also important to understand what is and is not covered by the standard motor truck cargo policy. Below, you can find the most commonly excluded cargo types:

  • Art, jewelry, money, or paper
  • Contraband, pharmaceuticals, tobacco, alcohol
  • Live animals
  • Property while in custody of any other motor carrier
  • Storage greater than 72 hours
  • Shipping containers
  • Explosive or radioactive material
  • Property or goods owned by you, the insured

Adding a motor truck cargo endorsement to your commercial movers insurance package can allow you to protect your responsibility as a for-hire trucker. Interested in learning more about insurance for moving companies and the extra degree of protection a motor truck cargo policy can provide you? Contact the coverage experts at Wolpert Insurance to discover your specialized commercial insurance options today!

What Your Moving Company Needs to Know: Bobtail Insurance Basics

As an independent trucker you are entirely responsible for your truck, with or without the trailer. As an owner and operator of a commercial truck, it is advisable to review the lease agreement with your carrier to determine which type of coverage you are required to maintain.

What is Bobtail Insurance?

Looking into bobtail insurance is your best bet. Many contracts will include the terms bobtail liability and non-trucking liability together, suggesting that these key phrases mean the same thing, in regards to coverage. However, there is a subtle, and somewhat confusing, difference about the actual definition of bobtail liability insurance.

Deahead Coverage.jpg']

A bobtail insurance policy is uniquely designed to cover the tractor when it is not attached to a trailer – no matter what its status is. This coverage is also commonly called “Deadhead coverage”.

Why is Bobtail Insurance Significant?

Bobtail insurance is significant for a variety of reasons; most importantly because it provides coverage for medical expenses and associated costs for injuries or even death, as a result of an accident occurring while the operator is not under dispatch. Bobtail insurance can also help protect against and mediate the costs of damages to other people’s property.

Trucking operators should understand what bobtail liability is and ensure that they have the right commercial truck insurance in place before taking to the road; rather than consider a policy after an accident has already resulted in costly damages and loss. By exploring your insurance options further you may find that it can help mediate loss from a variety of covered any damages, collision costs, theft and more.

Requirements for Coverage

Insurance companies typically have a few prerequisites you must meet before they will provide you with bobtail insurance; but there are some requirements for coverage you should be aware of. As an operator will need to have a permanent lease agreement longer than 30 days with a motor carrier, and oftentimes it is preferred that you have at least three years of experience hauling loads. Operators will also be obligated to provide your truck’s Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), your name, driver’s license number, date of birth and contact information in the event of a loss due to physical damage to the truck.

With a specialized bobtail insurance policy, you can rest assured knowing that your truck is covered no matter what the situation may be. Interested in learning more about Commercial Trucking Insurance – specifically the unique coverage with can offer to moving and storage companies, like you? Contact the coverage experts at Wolpert Insurance to discover your specialized commercial insurance options today!