HHG Self-Audit List for Moving and Storage Companies, Part 1

As the owner of a moving and storage company, it is important that you are educated in all areas of this profession, from safety rules and regulations to movers insurance policies. Another area you should be familiar with: self auditing. This week, we have put together a self-auditing list for those transporting Household Goods (HHG).

Ask yourself these 10 questions for Intrastate Transportation of Household Goods:

1.    Does your tariff have a “rules” section as well as rates and charges?

2.    If “yes” to the above question, do your rules also include the terms and conditions of your HHG BOL?

3.    Have you made any changes to your rules since 2008?

4.    Do you provide less than 60 days for customers to file a claim?

5.    Do you offer shippers the opportunity to declare “Excess value(s)”?

6.    Is your offer to declare excess value based on “weight shipped” times $1.25 per pound? If yes, do you always weigh these shipments?

7.    Do you offer to provide “Storage-In-Transit” (SIT)?

8.    If “yes” to the above question, do you limit the maximum SIT period to less than 100 days?

9.    Do you provide “labor only” services?

10.    If “yes” to the above question, do you ask your customers to sign your HHG BOL?

At Wolpert Insurance, we want to make sure you are constantly learning something new and always in-the-know. Besides offering industry-related news and information, we are also here to offer stellar protection. Be sure to contact our agency for more information on our movers insurance program. We offer coverage such as: workers compensation, warehouse legal liability, umbrella insurance, general liability and much more.

Be sure to come back next week when we offer a self-audit list for Warehousing / Storage of Household Goods!

Fleet Safety Tips: Medical Cards Q&A

As your trusty movers insurance provider, we believe it is also important to keep you up-to-date on industry-related news! This week, we have put together a Q&A session on CDL drivers and medical cards.

Q: What is the deadline for CDL drivers to submit their medical cards to the State Division of Motor Vehicles?

A: January 2014, or whenever their CDL expires. Whichever date comes first!

Q: Do non-CDL drivers have to submit medical cards to the DMV?

A: No. The new rule only applies to CDL drivers.

Q: Should drivers carry their medical cards with them at all times on the road?

A: No.

Q: What is the consequence if a driver does not submit his or her medical card to the DMV?

A: His or her CDL will be downgraded to an operator’s license. They WILL NOT be able to operate a vehicle requiring a CDL.

Q: Will officials know that a driver does not have a medical card or have an expired card?

A: Yes, this information will be on the driver’s DMV Report which can be reviewed by the officer at the time of the inspection.

For more industry-related news, always come on back! We are dedicated to providing you and your drivers with quality information.

If you are more concerned about getting a free movers insurance quote, look no further! At Wolpert Insurance, we can provide New England moving and storage companies with a comprehensive plan, including: general liability, warehouse legal liability, umbrella insurance, workers compensation and much more.

Are CMV Drivers Required to Take a Road Test?

As the owner of a moving and storage company, it is important to stay on top of safety advice and requirements for your drivers. Hopefully, we do not have to tell you that having movers insurance is a requirement! However, there is one common question that we feel the need to address: Are CMV drivers required to take a Road Test? We have the answers for you here!

Allow us to break down in this information in Q&A form:

Q: As outlined in FMC SR, drivers are required to have a Road Test. Is this true for all CMV drivers?

A: Yes and no. A Road Test is mandatory for all drivers operating a commercial motor vehicle which DOES NOT require a CDL (vehicles of 10,001 -26,000 pounds). For drivers of vehicles that DO require a CDL (vehicles over 26,000 pounds), a company can accept a copy of a valid CDL in lieu of a road test unless the driver will be operating a vehicle requiring a tanker, double or triple endorsement.

Q: Who is able to administer the Road Test to drivers?

A: Any person who is competent to evaluate and determine the results of the test. This means that YES, even your own employee can conduct the Road Test.

Q: What type of vehicle should be used during the road test?

A: The type of vehicle that the driver will be operating for you. If the driver switches over to another type of vehicle, you must administer another Road Test.

Q: Where and for how long do I retain these Road Test and Certificate of Road Tests?

A: You must store away the Road Test and the Certificate of Road Test in their qualification file during the length of time the driver is working for you and three years after.

Our experts at Wolpert Insurance are dedicated to making sure you are well educated on all rules and regulations. If you have any other questions or concerns about CMV driver requirements or even questions about our unique movers insurance policy, do not hesitate to reach out to our agency. We would be more than happy to speak with you!

MASSACHUSETTS MOVING AND STORAGE: Limitations of Economic Liability

As the owner of a moving and storage company, it is important to fully understand the rules, regulations and laws that may affect your business. Each week, our agency takes it upon ourselves to keep you up to date on driving laws, movers insurance policies, etc. This week, we would like to discuss Massachusetts case laws that pertain to carriers.

Massachusetts courts have recognized the right of carriers to limit their economic liability. While Massachusetts does not require household goods carriers to offer “full value protection,” the Interstate Commerce Act does. However, for a carrier to lawfully limit its economic liability, the shipper must be given a choice of rates.

Recently, the U.S. 1st Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the right of a carrier to limit its economic liability for cargo loss or damage by offering the shipper the chance to declare a higher value than that provided by the carrier’s base rate liability of 60 cents per pound per article.

At Wolpert Insurance, we want to make sure your moving and storage company is aware of all rules and regulations in the business. It is for your own protection to understand your rights! Speaking of protection; be sure to come and speak with our agency about our comprehensive movers insurance program. We can provide your business with coverage including: general liability, warehouse legal liability, umbrella insurance, workers compensation and much more. We would be more than happy to provide you with a free quote.