Are CMV Drivers Required to Take a Road Test?

As the owner of a moving and storage company, it is important to stay on top of safety advice and requirements for your drivers. Hopefully, we do not have to tell you that having movers insurance is a requirement! However, there is one common question that we feel the need to address: Are CMV drivers required to take a Road Test? We have the answers for you here!

Allow us to break down in this information in Q&A form:

Q: As outlined in FMC SR, drivers are required to have a Road Test. Is this true for all CMV drivers?

A: Yes and no. A Road Test is mandatory for all drivers operating a commercial motor vehicle which DOES NOT require a CDL (vehicles of 10,001 -26,000 pounds). For drivers of vehicles that DO require a CDL (vehicles over 26,000 pounds), a company can accept a copy of a valid CDL in lieu of a road test unless the driver will be operating a vehicle requiring a tanker, double or triple endorsement.

Q: Who is able to administer the Road Test to drivers?

A: Any person who is competent to evaluate and determine the results of the test. This means that YES, even your own employee can conduct the Road Test.

Q: What type of vehicle should be used during the road test?

A: The type of vehicle that the driver will be operating for you. If the driver switches over to another type of vehicle, you must administer another Road Test.

Q: Where and for how long do I retain these Road Test and Certificate of Road Tests?

A: You must store away the Road Test and the Certificate of Road Test in their qualification file during the length of time the driver is working for you and three years after.

Our experts at Wolpert Insurance are dedicated to making sure you are well educated on all rules and regulations. If you have any other questions or concerns about CMV driver requirements or even questions about our unique movers insurance policy, do not hesitate to reach out to our agency. We would be more than happy to speak with you!