What Your Moving Company Needs to Know: Bobtail Insurance Basics

As an independent trucker you are entirely responsible for your truck, with or without the trailer. As an owner and operator of a commercial truck, it is advisable to review the lease agreement with your carrier to determine which type of coverage you are required to maintain.

What is Bobtail Insurance?

Looking into bobtail insurance is your best bet. Many contracts will include the terms bobtail liability and non-trucking liability together, suggesting that these key phrases mean the same thing, in regards to coverage. However, there is a subtle, and somewhat confusing, difference about the actual definition of bobtail liability insurance.

Deahead Coverage.jpg']

A bobtail insurance policy is uniquely designed to cover the tractor when it is not attached to a trailer – no matter what its status is. This coverage is also commonly called “Deadhead coverage”.

Why is Bobtail Insurance Significant?

Bobtail insurance is significant for a variety of reasons; most importantly because it provides coverage for medical expenses and associated costs for injuries or even death, as a result of an accident occurring while the operator is not under dispatch. Bobtail insurance can also help protect against and mediate the costs of damages to other people’s property.

Trucking operators should understand what bobtail liability is and ensure that they have the right commercial truck insurance in place before taking to the road; rather than consider a policy after an accident has already resulted in costly damages and loss. By exploring your insurance options further you may find that it can help mediate loss from a variety of covered any damages, collision costs, theft and more.

Requirements for Coverage

Insurance companies typically have a few prerequisites you must meet before they will provide you with bobtail insurance; but there are some requirements for coverage you should be aware of. As an operator will need to have a permanent lease agreement longer than 30 days with a motor carrier, and oftentimes it is preferred that you have at least three years of experience hauling loads. Operators will also be obligated to provide your truck’s Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), your name, driver’s license number, date of birth and contact information in the event of a loss due to physical damage to the truck.

With a specialized bobtail insurance policy, you can rest assured knowing that your truck is covered no matter what the situation may be. Interested in learning more about Commercial Trucking Insurance – specifically the unique coverage with can offer to moving and storage companies, like you? Contact the coverage experts at Wolpert Insurance to discover your specialized commercial insurance options today!