How To: Obtain A Warehouse License

Did you read about warehouses and licensing last week and now you have realized that you need to get a warehouse license from the Massachusetts Department of Safety? Or perhaps you are just looking to learn some more about how to obtain a warehouse license. No matter what brought you here, Wolpert Insurance has the answers that you are looking for!

In Massachusetts, if you operate a business that has buildings or lots that are kept and maintained for the storage of goods, wares or merchandise, you are considered to be a Warehouseman and must apply for a license from the department to legally operate your business. This means you will need:

  1. A warehouse license
    2. A surety bond

To obtain a warehouse license, there are three necessary steps.

  1. You must complete the Public Warehouseman License Application Packet. You can obtain that form online and all it requires is general information about your business. With that, you must also submit: a government issued photo ID, a copy of your “Articles of Organization”, a copy of your business certificate and zoning approval, a completed bond form, a copy of your actual surety bond, and a completed Notice Form. All of these documents and requirements can be found on the Massachusetts Department website.
    2. A completed criminal check or “CORI Request Form”.
    3. A check or money order for $250.00, made out to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

You will send your completed application to:

Department of Public Safety – Public Warehouse Licensing
One Ashburton Place Room 1301
Boston, MA 02108

You might be wondering about the bond requirement. Under G.L. c. 105, §3, a bond ensures that a party injured by your action will have access to funds for recovery. This bonding company or surety will pay your liability and then seek reimbursement from you.  You must submit a $10,000 surety bond for every warehouse you operate.

Wolpert Insurance can help you obtain a bond. All you need to do is bring your bond form to us at Wolpert Insurance and we can assist you with the requirements necessary to submit to the Department.

Remember, you will not be able to apply for movers insurance without the proper licensing. And with your business at risk, you could be facing huge expenses should it be determined that you are responsible for damage to goods in storage. The moving and storage industry certainly comes with a lot of different requirements, but we are always there to help you with all of your needs. Give us a call today and let’s get started!