Each week, our agency offers helpful tips and advice, whether having to do with our movers insurance program or having to do with the moving and storage industry. Last week, we went over 10 questions that moving and storage company owners should go over in order to “self audit.” These 10 questions focused on Intrastate Transportation of Household Goods. This week, we have put together another list to become familiar with:
10 questions to ask when it comes to Warehousing / Storage of Household Goods
1. Do you utilize a combination inventory and warehouse receipt?
2. If yes, does it limit your liability to $.60 per pound / $2,000 per lot?
3. Do you offer your storage customers the right to increase/declare excess value? If so, do you also offer excess value and commercial insurance coverage?
4. Do you always prepare an inventory on household goods going into storage?
5. Does your warehouse receipt incorporate the inventory by reference?
6. Do you always prepare an inventory immediately following removal from storage?
7. Do you store business, legal, and medical records? If yes, do you utilize a “records storage receipt/contract?”
8. Does your receipt limit liability on a “per-box” basis?
9. Do you store “Commercial Property?”
10. If yes, do you use a “commercial property” warehouse receipt?
If you answered no to any of these questions and are looking for answers, feel free to contact our agency. We would be happy to discuss this with you!
At Wolpert Insurance, we are dedicated to providing you with accurate and up-to-date information about the moving and storage industry. It is important for business owners in this field to stay on top of these things, and we want to help you to just that!
For those interested in learning more about our movers insurance program, contact us at any time. We would be happy to speak with you about the coverage we can provide you with, from general liability to warehouse legal liability.