We’ve all been pulled over by the police while driving, even when it’s been an honest mistake or a misunderstanding. Sometimes you accidentally go above the speed limit or take a wrong left turn without seeing a sign and that’s okay. However, when you do get pulled over it’s important to stick to a protocol trouble between you and the officer is avoided. If you’re polite and show respect, you may avoid a ticket and any subsequent claims on your movers insurance. Here are the Do’s and Don’ts of getting pulled over:
When you first notice flashing police lights…
• Turn off your engine and roll down your window all the way. Keep your hands on the wheel so they are visible to the officer.
• Turn on your hazard lights when you park.
• Always address the police officer as “officer.”
• Get worried or panic. Most stops are for common traffic violations like taking a wrong turn or rolling stops.
• Remove your seat belt. This may lead to the officer alleging you were not wearing your seat belt to begin with which may lead to a ticket or citation.
When you’re face to face with a police officer…
• Stay calm and seated. Unless the officer asks you to get out of the vehicle, do not under any circumstances. This includes any passengers as well.
• Hand over important documents. The officer is going to ask for your license, registration and maybe even your proof of insurance.
• Ask questions. If you’re given a ticket or citation and the charges are not clear to you, ask the officer to clarify.
• Reach for your license, registration or any other item until the officer requests you do so. Sudden hand movements are perceived as a threat to officers, so always keep them visible.
• Argue or create a confrontation. A smile and good attitude will help make the incident go by quickly and smoothly. If you disagree with the citation or ticket, you can deal with it in court.
• Zone out. Listen to what the officer has to say and be respectful when they are saying it.
At Wolpert Insurance and Risk Management it’s our job to make sure moving companies like yours are getting the information and movers insurance you need for the future. If you’d like to learn more, feel free to contact us today.